Fashion is often more about a perfect look than about function (hello, six-inch stilettos), but now that sneakers are dominating the streetwear scene, fashion and athleisure are the new BFFs in town.
White kicks are dominating the streets for the last years now. They basically look good with all outfits. They only downside is that you have to keep them clean. We know that this is a huge pain in the ass. And if you’re like us, you’ve tried all the “DIY hacks” from Instagram already, to find out that you end up ruining your sneakers even more. We’re here to help with your struggles. We’ve put together a basic guide to safely washing your sneakers.
# Clean your kicks like a pro
- Remove the laces and insoles and place them inside a pillowcase or wash bag and then throw that in the washer.
- Next, wipe off any excess dirt from your shoes, paying close attention to removing any rocks or gravel wedged in the sole of your shoes.
- Add your shoes to the washer along with a load of old towels to prevent your sneakers from banging around in the machine.
- Add liquid detergent along with some vinegar to help remove odors.
- Turn the washer on a cold-water delicate cycle to prevent misshaping.
- Then, air dry your shoes out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources like your furnace to prevent fading and shrinking.
- While your shoes are still wet, insert waded up newspaper to help them keep their shape and soak up excess water from the inside. Be sure not to over stuff or you could stretch your shoes.
Make sure to follow us on Instagram for daily inspiration and more pro tips.